- 12 large prawns
- 2 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp finely chopped spring onions
- 1/2 tsp Five spice powder “chinese”
- sweet and sour sauce or sweet chilli sauce for dipping
- Peel prawns with your fingers and remove the heads, keep the tails on. Remove and discard black veins.
- Cut each prawn in 3 lengthwise without cutting through. Rinse under running water, pat dry with kitchen paper. Coat in seasoned flour.
- Pour enough oil in the wok for deep frying and heat oil to 190 degrees Celsius. Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a bowl with spring onion and 5 spice powder
- When the oil is hot, dip the prawn in egg mixture one at a time. Lift with a spoon, making sure there is plenty of egg mixture around each prawn.
- Lower them gently into hot oil and deep fry in batches for 1-2 minutes until crisp and light golden. Lift with slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper and keep hot while deep frying the remainder.
- Serve at once as first course with dipping sauces of your choice.