Bangus could also be used to make this dish.
- 1 whole sea bass, gutted with head and tail left on
- bunch of spring onions , shredded
- 2 inches fresh ginger root, cut into thin strips
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp dry sherry or sherry vinegar
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- Wash fish inside and out, then pat dry with kitchen paper. Cut short the tail and make deep diagonal slashes on each side of the fish with a sharp knife.
- Place the fish on a platter that will fit in the bamboo steamer. Place half of the spring onions and ginger inside the fish, then sprinkle the remainder on tot.
- Place the wok on its stand on the hob. Cover the steamer with its lid then place in the wok. Pour in enough water to cover base of the steamer, then bring to a boil over high heat.
- Lower the heat to a gentle steam for 15 minutes, checking the water level occasionally and topping up with more boiling water if necessary. Test to see if the fish is done. The flesh should look opaque near the bone. Steam for a little while longer if necessary.