When you want something really filling and also provides one of the 5 fruit and vegetables you need everyday, this risotto recipe is very easy to make and cheap too!
It takes about 25 minutes to cook.
- 175g frozen green peas
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 shallots or onions, chopped
- 70g bacon bits, preferably smoked
- 75ml dry white wine
- 250g risotto rice
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- 25g butter
- Simmer fozen peas in water until cooked al dente. Drain but keep the water to use to make 1.2litres stock.
- Make stock by using the reserved peas water plus some more to make 1.2litres and add chicken stock cube. Keep simmering.
- Put bacon bits and shallots (or onions) in a non stick pan. Cover over medium heat until soft and golden. Add the rice and stir for a minute followed by the wine. Gradually add the stock (half a cup each time) and keep stirring until liquid is absorbed. This will take 15-20 minutes.
- When the rice is almost tender, add the cooked peas and cook for a couple of minutes. Turn the heat off then stir in the cheese and butter. Season to taste.
- Serve on warmed plates/bowls.